BUSINESS & OPERATIONS MANAGEMENTWe support and enable business to optimise operations
There is a need to constantly improve operational performance as the business must keep on growing and improving as well as adapt to new challenges and changing customer requirements.
Production facilities often underperform and seldom meet their intended capacities as operations slowly deteriorate over time through either loss in availability, throughput or product quality. Improving the productivity of existing operations adds directly to the bottom line profit of a company.
A holistic approach to operational performance is important to ensure that any performance improvement benefits are sustained.
How we help our clients
During ongoing operations we help you adapt to new challenges and optimise your operation by providing experienced consultants and subject-matter experts in support of the business. We have the expertise to look at the full business value chain, including technical functions and organisational structuring and processes, as well as possible “soft” issues.
How we work
We, as part of the client team, follow a structured process in which we :
- Determining the present baseline that the plant can sustain (Availability, Throughput and Quality).
- Set up mechanisms to track the performance continuously to be able to identify deviations and measure progress.
- Investigate and identify reasons for any deviations, good or bad and be that technical, process or people.
- Determine what the deviations are between the measured baseline and the design intent or maximum sustainable capacity.
- Finding the root causes.
- Developing business cases, justifications and selecting best options for implementation.
- Specifying requirements for and support implementing preventive or corrective actions This could include an optimised operating or maintenance philosophy and strategy (systems, standards, procedures, equipment replacements, other modifications, personnel training and development, communication, recognition), organisational structure changes and capital projects.
- Assist with the necessary change management to ensure success. The change management plan is developed to be fit for purpose, based on the capacity, structure, and culture of the client company.
- Review performance after implementation to confirm new baseline.
During ongoing operations we help you adapt to new challenges and optimise your operation by providing experienced consultants and subject-matter experts in support of the business.
Due diligence audits (Mergers and Acquisitions)
Business performance audits
Strategy development and facilitation of strategy workshops
Organisational structuring including clarification of roles and responsibilities
Competency and skills gap analysis and training needs analysis
Training – “soft” skills, technical skills ( e.g. problems analysis, root cause analysis)
Business case development
Scoping of plant modifications and capital projects.
Ongoing plant support on a “retainer” basis
Supporting the change management process
OTC is aware of the importance of optimising the value of the business at the time of sale and will help ensure continuity during and after the transfer.
- Valuation of the project at different stages of development
- Proper governance and stewardship in terms of intellectual property and moveable assets, including licenses, technologies and design documentation
- Developing a handover plan to the new owner
- Providing resources through the transition process
- Supporting the change management process
BUSINESS & OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT INSIGHTS
Are serious accidents inevitable in heavy industry? Why, despite our best efforts, do fatalities continue to occur? Can technology play a role in improving safety performance? Are there any emerging technologies that could result in a breakthrough improvement in health and safety performance in industries such as mining, oil & gas, chemical, and others?
It was only a short 12 months ago that things were vastly different. At the time, I wrote an article entitled Beyond Capex: Future-proofing your IT investment for sustainable value delivery (Halse, 2019). The article introduced smart manufacturing and covered the...
How many business cases are presented for approval, and then filed away once the project is underway, never to see the light of day again? If this is the situation in your company then please reconsider your approach - in this article we explain why. Introduction The...
In this article, I explore Smart Manufacturing and Industry 4.0, and the way in which these trends are impacting manufacturing. I also demonstrate that for a new business to be future proofed against digital disruption, it needs to develop the necessary digital...
The world constantly provides us with a myriad of challenging and exciting business opportunities. Whether you are an entrepreneur developing the opportunity or it is being developed by the business development department of a major corporation, the focus is normally...
This article focuses on project handover of large scale, complex industrial projects to operations teams. However, the complexity and number of activities and deliverables are huge and cannot be covered in detail in an article of this nature. Introduction Project...